Sunday, April 22, 2012

Welcome to the World!

Introducing Gabriel Thomas Lyons!


Born: April 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm
Weight: 8 lbs 9 oz
Length: 21 inches

Birth story (for those of you who are interested): Tuesday, April 10th, I had a doctor's appointment and he checked to see if I was progressing at all...I wasn't. So we began thinking that this little boy wanted to wait all the way until his due date (April 16th) to show up. I came home and went about doing my everyday chores and such and that night decided to go food shopping so we could be prepared for the next week. Lets just say by the time we finished I felt like he was going to drop right out of me right then and there! It hurt so much to walk around! Well, we went to bed still not thinking anything was going to happen. Jacob started crying at around 3:30 for his binky so I got up and put it in his mouth and had a contraction while bending over! I laid back down and continued to have some contractions that were about 10-15 minutes apart. I just laid there because I couldn't sleep and I didn't want to wake up Brandon just in case this wasn't the real thing. But they started coming a little bit closer together and getting a little harder...still I didn't wake Brandon up, but luckily he got up to go to the bathroom and then asked how I was doing when he laid back down so I could tell him I had been having some contractions for the past hour or so. We just kind of laid there for a little bit, before I decided to get up and do something productive. I thought if I wasn't going to sleep then I had better do something better with my time. So I cleaned! 7 o'clock rolled around and Brandon asked if he should go into work or not. I told him to go because they weren't terrible yet and still 5-7 minutes apart. I told him I would call him when they started being 2-3 minutes apart...so he left. David got up and I got him something to eat and stuck him in front of the tv. (I didn't want to have him under my feet while I was trying to breathe through contractions.) I called my mom and told her that today was probably the day and while I was talking to her the contractions started coming closer and really hard. I called Brandon and told him it was time...this was like at 8:30 so he really didn't get much work in. Jacob was still asleep so I decided to jump in the shower because I was having some bad back pain. While I was in there, Brandon got home and got the boys dressed. At 9, we headed over to the Torres' home to drop the boys off and then headed to the hospital. We got checked in at 9:30 and I was dilated to a 4! So they said I could get the epidural any time I wanted it...I lasted until about 11! haha By this time, I was dilated to a 6. I decided to call my mom afterwards and let her know what was going on. I talked to her for about 45 minutes and at the end of our conversation I started to get really uncomfortable when a contraction hit. It wasn't until I got off the phone that I realized that it was some intense pressure down in that area. The doctor came in and checked me again and I was fully dilated! I went from a 6 to a 10 in 45 minutes! We still had to wait a little while before I could push because our nurse was out to lunch...but around 1 they came in and started setting everything up. They said I could do a couple of practice pushes, which I did, and they said they could already see his head. I pushed a couple more times until he was crowning and then my doctor told me to stop! He said he wanted to let my muscles stretch a little before continuing to push so there would be less chances of tearing. Well, I stopped pushing but I could feel him sliding out...just my breathing was pushing him out but my doctor was telling the nurses to hold his head in!! Our main nurse turned to the doctor and said, "He's coming out whether you want him to or not!" So he told me to push and 2 pushes later Gabe was born at 1:38 pm! We were shocked to see a full head of red hair, but have since gotten used to it and love it! As weird as I thought it was for my doctor to tell me to stop pushing, it definitely worked! I didn't tear at all and have felt great ever since! So to all those women out there...tell your doctors to let you stretch a little before trying to push your baby all the way out! haha

We are so very happy to have this little boy here and can't imagine life without him already! David and Jacob are wonderful big brothers!




2 comments:

Rosie said...

Dr Semeran sure is great. :)

Alisha said...

So glad that it went so well! I'm so jealous that you progressed so far on your own before going in! I'm a wimp!

Post a Comment