Today Jacob turned 4 months old...which means shots. I hate shots.
I hate watching my poor baby laying there so happy, so unsuspecting of what is going to happen next. I hate the blood curdling screams when they poke him, and the looks of "help me, Mommy. Why are you letting them do this to me?" Shots are just no fun for baby AND Mommy!
So, I had this to look forward to today, and I also decided to do David's 2 year old check up as well today (luckily no shots for him...or so I thought). We got there and everything was going great, David was turning on his charm with the nurses (he's such a lady's man), and Jacob was even getting all the nurses to smile and coo over him. We got there height and weight...David is 28 lb 6 oz (53%) and 36.5 inches tall (95%!!), Jacob is 16 lb 6 oz (73%) and 25.5 (79%). They were both really good for the doctor, which David NEVER is. And then the shots came...it happened just like I hate, but as soon as they handed Jacob over to me he quit crying and while I was getting him dressed he even smiled and laughed! I was thinking, "Ok, I can handle this" and then the doctor handed me this paper for David. We needed to head up to the hospital some time in the near future to get a lead screening done. Well, I thought since Jacob was doing so well and we had nothing else to do that day that we might as well get that done too. I was thinking that it would just be another prick in the foot or finger and it wouldn't be too much trouble.
Had I known what they really were going to do I probably wouldn't have taken him...like ever! We waited and then got called back and the nurse told me to have him sit in my lap. She then proceeded to tell me that I needed to hold his hand down with one hand and pop up his elbow with my other hand. She was telling me this while wrapping that big rubber band thing around his upper arm...I was like "what, you're actually going to take blood, like the adult way?" I was shocked. I was scared because I knew David was going to scream his little guts out and not sit still enough to let them get a whole vile of blood, and I wasn't sure I could hold him. Well, I held his arm down and braced myself for the scream...which NEVER came! This little 2 year old sat and WATCHED this nurse stick the needle into his arm and WATCHED as the blood drained out of his body and into a vile. He didn't squirm or fuss...seriously, not a peep exited his mouth. I was shocked, the nurse was shocked, which made me one proud momma! He's been fine the rest of the day and the only side effect Jacob has had is some over sleeping. All in all a rather good day when it should have been a very traumatic day!
Monday, May 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
What a blessing!!! So glad that everything went better then you thought it would! I would have been scared too!
what good boys!
WOW!i am impressed :) def a blessing!
Post a Comment