Last night I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies...actually I've been in the mood for them for a couple of days now, but last night was the first night I actually wanted to spend the time to make them. haha So I did...let me set the stage for you...
It was after a very long day with three boys who didn't want to sleep at all. Actually, I think the only one who really did was Jacob and he only took a nap for 1 1/2 hours, very different than his usual 3 hour naps. We have decided to not let David take any more naps (even though he still needs them) because when he does he then doesn't go to sleep until really late at night. And I don't know why Gabe wasn't sleeping, I would get him to go to sleep in my arms or in the swing and then lay him down in his bed, and 15-20 minutes later he was up screaming again.
So pretty much it was a day of screaming, cranky children. And then I had to make dinner, which wasn't so bad, but still tiring. Looking back, I'm not too sure what made me want to make cookies, but nevertheless, I started making them. I found this new interesting recipe on pinterest that I wanted to try, so I got everything ready and started mixing the ingredients. I got to the part where I had to add the butter and I read the recipe "3/4 cup unsalted butter." I looked at the stick of butter and for some strange reason I thought I read that a whole stick was 1/4 cup, so I thought 3 sticks makes 3/4 of a cup. Next thought, "Wow, that's a lot of butter." Read the recipe again to make sure that's what it said, yep, 3/4 cup of butter. In went the butter. I didn't even think to check the stick again...
I finished everything and realized my dough didn't look like the picture online, so I read through the recipe again to make sure I did everything right. Yep, everything looks great. So I put the first batch in the oven. They flattened so fast I knew something was wrong, so I began thinking about what I did. Thought about the butter and shock ran through my body, I ran over to the trash and pulled out the paper. Sure enough it said 1/4 cup- half a stick, 1/2 cup- whole stick. I had doubled the amount of butter! I thought about how I could fix it and just started to pour more flour in the batter. Luckily, that worked.
The cookies tasted very buttery when I tried them right out of the oven, so I started cursing myself that I ruined all of these cookies. Well, I tried them today and Oh. My. Gosh! Absolutely heavenly! They are the softest, sweetest chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted! They taste just like ones you would get from a bakery! They literally melt in your mouth! I just had to share my mistake! Maybe I should bake when I'm tired more often! haha
I got the recipe from here...but here is my mistake version. Enjoy!!
The Softest Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!
Ingredients:
3 sticks of unsalted butter, soften
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and blend in. Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop by tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
Well, if your arteries are clogged in a few days, I guess we'll know why! haha! I do the naughty thing and use shortening in my cookies... I used to make them with bean puree but I get too lazy nowadays! Loves!
Post a Comment