But it's ok if baby is a boy because we've got a name picked out for that too.
But the story I want to tell is how we came upon a baby girl's name.
Brandon and I have very similar likes in boys names so finding a boy's name that we liked was fairly simple. And I still like it, so if baby turns out to be another boy, his name will be Isaac Nathaniel or Isaac Anthony. We haven't quite settled on the middle name yet.
But we have very different likes for girls names...for me, the child's name has to flow nicely together not only by itself but also with our other kids' names. So when I thought of names I would always put it with the others. You know, David, Jacob, Gabriel, and blank. If it didn't sound right with theirs then I didn't want it. I also wanted to have Lind as the middle name because it is my grandmother's maiden name and the name would die (through our family line since my grandmother was an only child) if I didn't use it. I had known I wanted to use this name since I first started picking out my children's names...which, you know, for girls is like when they are 5. Brandon was okay with this when we got married and we never had a problem with it because we kept having boys and I wanted to use the name for a girl. So now we might be having a girl and the stress of picking
Since David, Jacob, and Gabe's names are all biblical we decided to start there. We went through site after site searching "biblical baby girl's names." We found a couple that we liked but it either didn't flow well with Lind as the middle name or if it did, then it just didn't sit right with me. It didn't feel like the right name.
So then we decided to switch to 18 or 19 century names since our boys fit that pattern too. No offense to those of you who actually like those names...but Mabel, Sybil, or Priscilla, aren't really names that work for us. I will admit there are some names that I do like, for example Emma, Sophia, or Sadie, but if you look up the most popular names lately, those names that we like are most likely on that list. Granted, we do have some popular names already but for some reason, we didn't want our girl to have one of them. And these are about the names that we both liked, which was maybe a list of 10 names. The "No" side of the list was about triple that size! haha
Then Brandon decided he wanted to use his late grandfather's name, which was Sonny. No offense to Brandon's family, but I didn't really see our little girl being named Sonny either. I was willing to compromise and use it as a middle name, since Lind wasn't working for us. :(
By this time, I was starting to really stress about it because every time I would think of a name or we would find a name that we liked, it just never felt like the right one. I felt like her name was on the tip of my tongue and I just couldn't get it out. It was very frustrating because I'm the type of person who likes to have a name already picked out before the baby is born...I can't go into labor still not knowing what the baby will be called!
Then one night, I was watching tv and one of the character's name was Adelaide. I immediately fell in love with it, but had to wait until the next day to see what Brandon thought because he was already asleep. Of course, he hated it! So then I went searching for names like Adelaide and I found Adeline and Adelyn. I tried those with him too saying that we would use Sonny as the middle name. He wasn't too keen on those either, which totally devastated me because I really liked those names. But Adelyn kept returning to my mind and I just couldn't shake it. So then one day, in the shower no less, I thought about using Brandon's grandmother's middle name with Adelyn instead of his grandfather's and as soon as I put the names together I burst into tears. Literally, burst into tears! I knew I had found her name! But I was nervous because Brandon's sister had already called dibs on using their grandmother's name as a middle name, and I wasn't sure how she would feel if I told her I would like to use it too. Luckily she said it was alright, and when I asked Brandon he said it was fine too! I think he just gave in because he was tired of going through names and just wanted the whole thing to be over...but I know this is her name!
So not to prolong it any more, if this baby is still a girl, her name will be Adelyn Rose (Addy for short). And I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!





5 comments:
Love, love, love it!!!!
I think it is a beautiful name... I was thinking the whole time though that you would call her Adelelynd. Good luck you guys! hope it really is a girl
I love it! Our baby girl is going to be Andelyn! Pretty close!
I love how you had to feel good about it, not just like the name. (I'm the same way!) Love the name too. So excited for you guys! (Oh, and thanks for your nice comment on our blog.:)
Love this story! So excited to see the little lady!
Post a Comment