Jacob Michael Lyons
Born: January 23, 2011 at 10:12 am
Weight: 8 lbs 2 oz
Height: 20 inches long
Story: I woke up around 1:30 am Sunday morning to go to the bathroom...typical night. But when I laid back down I had a pretty hard contraction. I didn't think much of it because I had been having some contractions off and on. But then about 5 minutes later I had another one and then a third. I was really uncomfortable so I decided to get up and walk around, thinking they would just go away when I changed position. So I got up and walked into the living room and had another one...I waited to have another one standing up before going into the bedroom and nicely informing Brandon that I didn't think we would be going into church today. I told him to go back to sleep though because they weren't too bad yet and I would let him know when we needed to go. I headed back into the living room and started picking up toys and things from the floor (I really didn't want to come home to a messy house...Brandon later said I was nuts because I could have been getting the hospital bag ready instead). Well, I noticed I was starting to have them pretty close together so I decided to time them. 2 minutes apart already! We probably should have headed into the hospital then because they were hard enough that I had to stop and breathe through them but from our experience last time with David (we went into the hospital 3 times before I was finally dilated enough to be admitted- and I was even having hard contractions), I thought it would be better to see how long I could go at home before heading in. Around 4 in the morning, I noticed they had slowed down a bit...about 6 minutes apart, so I tried to lay back down again on the recliner. Well, reclining was out of the question because when a contraction hit I couldn't breathe through it very well. I was having some very bad back labor. So I ended up sitting there with my knees pulled up around me and I would try to sleep between contractions. I made it to 6 o'clock before they were too painful and I needed to get up and walk through them. I decided to call my parents because talking to my mom always makes me feel better and I wanted to let them know what was going on. My parents live in Maryland, so they are 2 hours ahead of us and I wanted to catch them before they went to church. I talked to them for about a half an hour and they helped me breathe through the contractions...they were back to being 2 minutes apart and every time one came I would have to double over and quit talking. All in all, it was my parents who convinced me to get to the hospital, oh and David waking up ready to start the day. So I got Brandon up, tried to get the hospital bag ready while Brandon got David ready, and we headed to the hospital around 7 am. Brandon was still thinking we would probably have to come home again, so we took David with us. We got to the hospital, they took me in, checked me and I was already dilated to a 6! Wahoo! I got admitted and could have the epidural any time I wanted...which I wanted RIGHT THEN! Unfortunately, it was still another hour before the guy came in (something about having to wake him up and him driving from Rigby). Whatever. All I can say is the epidural is BLISS!! I got one with David too and both times have had very pleasant experiences with it. Around 9 o'clock the doctor came in and checked me again and I was at a 9, so he broke my water and told me to tell them when I felt like I needed to push. About a half hour later, I was in the process of eating my delicious mango flavored ice chips and started feeling like I needed to push but it wasn't terrible so I decided to wait until I finished my ice chips. (I was hungry...again Brandon thought I was nuts). I finished, called the nurses in, started pushing, and about 10 minutes later Jacob Michael Lyons entered the world. Brandon doesn't handle blood very well so he didn't do much during this, but it was just nice to have him there so we could talk. (Our friends, the Herds, came and took David once we found out we were being admitted). So yeah, I have to say it was a much easier delivery and we are so happy to have our boy with us and I'm glad he decided to come 2 weeks early otherwise I probably would have had a 10 lb baby! David absolutely adores him! :)





5 comments:
Woohoo! Congrats to you guys! He's adorable, of course. :)
This sounds great! Congrats on the handsome boy. I'm so glad that your labor story was good and that David loves him. :)
He's a cutie! (I'm feeling so jealous right now...10 weeks left!)
Glad labor went smoothly for ya. Way to go waiting to go to the hospital. We are going to do that this time too. So much more comfy at home!
Oh Hilary! I love hearing all about the delivery story. Your boys are so cute! Yay for epidurals! ...so does he go by Jacob or Michael? :)
Hope things continue to go well for you! YAY!
Great labor Hil! Love that it was so easy for you. Wish that I could have been there. Promise to have your next babe in Maryland and you won't be able to keep me away!!!!I love you and your boys (that includes Brandon)!
Post a Comment