Let me first start off by saying this trip was not planned at all. Brandon had been gone the beginning of the week (Monday the 14th-Wednesday the 16th) because of an interview in New York. Then he had to drive down to Utah Thursday night for an interview on Friday. We found out that the hotel room he was in had a king size bed so we (the boys and I) decided to tag along because we didn't want to be without Daddy for another day. Brandon's car is in better shape and gets better gas milage than my 4-Runner, so we decided to take his car.
Mistake #1. It is VERY difficult to put kids into a car that only has 2 doors.
Plus, since Jacob's carseat is still backwards facing, my seat was pushed far up and it was very uncomfortable for me, being pregnant and all.
Mistake #2. Believing that every child is a little angel.
We got a pretty late start so we stopped at a McDonalds in Idaho Falls for dinner. They had a play area so while Brandon was ordering, I went in with David so he could run around and play for a little bit. Next thing I know, David is screaming bloody murder in one of the cubby areas and I go to find a little girl with her hands on David's face. Turns out that little girl was trying to gouge out David's eyes! I pulled him out and looked him over and found all these little scratches from his hair line near his ear all the way across his nose and to the other side of his face. It looked so bad, and I felt so terrible that I let that happen to my son. When I told Brandon, I think he would have yelled at the kid's parents if I hadn't stopped him and told him her parents made her say she was sorry. He was still pretty angry though...but I think with good reason.
Mistake #3. Letting the boys sleep so long in the car.
We ended up getting to the hotel around 10:30 pm, but because the boys were so rested from their multiple naps neither one really wanted to go to bed. Brandon and I were exhausted, and Brandon was short tempered because he wanted to be well rested for his interview. Needless to say, I was chasing the boys around the room until about 12:30 am. And then they decided to get up around 6:30...it was NOT a good night!
Mistake #4-5. Not bringing a stroller but believing that the mall play house area would keep the boys occupied for the 2 hours that Brandon was in his interview.
Brandon's car has a small trunk as well so we couldn't fit a stroller into the car, but I thought I would be ok without it. When we got down into Utah, Orem area, I remembered the mall and the nice big tree house play area they have in there. I told Brandon that he could drop us off there and we would just hang out there until he finished. That tree house kept David's attention for all of 30 minutes! Then he was off running all over the place and I had to chase him while holding Jacob the entire time. Well, my arms got tired pretty quickly so I decided we would go get something to eat. Yeah, David decided to throw a temper tantrum right then and there. So while I was bending over to grab David, Jacob decided to also lean over and slipped right out of my arms and fell flat on his back! I thought for sure he had gotten a concussion, but luckily he seemed fine. We got our food, ate, and while I was cleaning up David decided to run a little ways ahead. He was still in my sights, so I didn't mind too much, until I had trouble getting the trash in the trash bin. I guess I must have looked down for too long because when I looked up again, he was GONE! Let me tell you, WORST FEELING EVER!!! I looked around for a little bit on my own but eventually had to go get security to help, and about 20 minutes later we saw him walking out of a store with a toy! He could have cared less that Mommy wasn't with him...but let me tell you, Mommy was a basket case! Stupid pregnancy hormones!
The rest of the day didn't go so hot either but they weren't as bad as those...so yeah, lessoned learned. It probably would have been better to go one more day without Daddy then try to tag along!





4 comments:
Holy smokes...kids are crazy. And you're amazing! :)
you are super mom for not going insane!!! ive had so many bad days with only one kid so i give you a lotttt of credit!
Awe man I'm sorry. I wish I knew you were in Orem. Perry and I live in Orem and we could have had a less stressful play date at my place. Let me know next time you end up in Orem.
Those are the times you just have to look back and laugh at!! But that can sometimes take a while too :)
Post a Comment